Many of our industries depend on the accuracy of our electrical equipment including agriculture, weather, the automotive industry, the medical field, food services, pharmaceuticals, healthcare organizations, small laboratories and more.
To ensure that critical devices in these industries are operating well, it is essential to test their electrical capacity on a rotational basis every six months to a year to meet ISO 9000 Quality System requirements. Failure to do so opens you up to a costly breakdown or a safety hazard. Most professional testing companies keep records of the service results and do alert you when it is time to perform the maintenance tests. Your accuracy is their success.
Why is the Accuracy of Your Measuring and Calibrating Equipment Important?
Often your measuring equipment depends on electrical devices. Their accuracy is often critical for a number of reasons.
Client Safety: Every manufacturer has to work within safety guidelines for their products.
Imagine the devastation that could happen if a thermometer in a food processing plant was inaccurate? The safety of the end user could be jeopardized if the food has not been stored at optimum temperature. The product could make many people ill. Hopefully, the error would not be fatal. The damage to your reputation far outweighs the cost of semi-annual inspections. Also, legal action can be expensive.
Cost Reduction: In most cases, the manufacturing process depends on assembling many different parts. What would happen if one part did not fit properly due to an inaccurate measurement in working with plastic molds? That one error could result in thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to retool to produce the part correctly.
Maintenance of Expensive Equipment: Since most electrical equipment is expensive, it is only sensible to have it checked on a regular basis to make sure that there are no problems with the operation of this equipment. Is there an overload on the system? Is there adequate protection should there be an electrical outage or surge on service in your area? Are there any issues with the installation of the equipment that could cause undue wear over time or possibly lead to a fire hazard?
In general, if measurement accuracy is critical to your operation, the electrical calibration testing and adjustment of this same equipment are also vital. Many industries require precise measurement. Some examples follow.
Several examples of equipment used on a regular basis in health facilities are
- Digital thermometers
- Handheld Clinical Devices
Health care professionals depend on the accuracy of these electronic devices on a daily basis. Electronic calibration should take place
- on a regular basis, twice a year
- if the instruments have been exposed to different weather conditions such as high temperature or high humidity
- when two of the same devices show different readings.
Forestry, Emergency Services, Research in Remote Areas
Often these services are performed in remote locations and are therefore dependent on their power supplies. Every application of power supply use depends on a reliable source of power at certain levels. In every circumstance, many pieces of equipment will fail to operate successfully if the power supply output is too low, too high, or if it fluctuates. For these industries, their power supply reliability determines whether they can complete the task. Testing and calibration of these units is vital to these essential services.
Emerging Technologies: Electrical Charging Stations for Vehicles
Over the world, there are many different solutions for charging electric vehicles. The industry is so new that there is a myriad of options. In India, there is no need for specialized licensing for the use of electricity. The government felt that this provides a level playing field for all of the stakeholders.
In the USA, Tesla offers free charging for the first 1,000 miles and then requests a small fee for using the service.
At some point, the free use of the charging stations may become regulated, and thus there will be a call for checks on the calibration of the methods for measuring the amount of electricity used. Accurate electronic calibration will protect the public from being overcharged.
How Do I know I have the Right Company for Electrical Calibration?
- Certification: Every professional testing facility needs to pass certification to carry out its enterprise. The accreditation ensures your company that their equipment is up to date and their staff is well trained to complete the testing thoroughly.
- Reputation: All credible companies proudly display their accomplishments and partnerships. Investigate their websites for testimonials and awards.
- Testing Process In-House: The lab tests its own equipment on a regular basis and to proper standards.
- Adaptability: Look for companies that will check your equipment at their laboratory facilities with a quick turnaround. Alternatively, if appropriate, they will offer a mobile lab to complete the testing on your site.
- Industry Regulations: A professional company devotes time and energy in keeping in touch with current standards. This could mean that they have staff who attend workshops or staff who may even serve on committees to review the current standards. These are the companies who also offer to educate their clients about any new regulations that are required for compliance.